Pinterest Audience

Meet the Consumers: Who Is Pinterest’s Primary Audience?

Pinterest promises to be an active new playground for marketers from all industries. However, if it’s to be the right platform for your business, you’ll need to scope out its audience.

Pinterest maintains popularity that rivals the Big Four social media platforms – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. That said, its purpose is far more niche than these platforms. On Pinterest, consumers discover items they want (hypothetically or realistically) and are able to compile these interesting items in a contained area.

Effectively, Pinterest operates as an online public wishlist. Marketers need to ensure that a business’s products are appealing enough to start circulating through those lists.

So who do they need to be marketing products toward?

 

Who Uses Pinterest?

As Fourth Quater 2019, Pinterest reported it saw over 335 million monthly active users. The population breaks down into different demographic groups neatly, though not in the ways you might anticipate.

As it stands, one in two Pinterest users is a millennial. On a broader spectrum, the age demographic of Pinterest’s consumer audience falls between 25 and 58.

In terms of gender, Pinterest plays host to an overwhelming percentage of female consumers. That said, male audience members have been on the rise, with men making up 20.5 percent of Pinterest’s consumer audience in 2019. That said, Pinterest claims its primary audience is made up of individuals who hold the “buying power” in their respective homes – the ones who craft a budget and bring goods home for all residents to enjoy. As a result, 79.5 percent of the consumers on Pinterest are women – and specifically, women who will make purchases on and offline.

Finally, one-third of Pinterest’s audience comes from the United States. The other two-thirds break down across international Internet-using demographics.

 

Where Do Consumers Use Pinterest?

The methods through which the aforementioned consumers reach Pinterest vary just as broadly as their demographics do. As of 2019, 67 percent of Pinterest users look for the items they’ve pinned out in the wild shopping at brick-and-mortar businesses. The other 33 percent do most of their shopping online.

That said, 80 percent of Pinterest’s audience uses the Pinterest app. This, if anything, represents a continued consumer migration from the desktop to the mobile phone.

 

Why Do Consumers Use Pinterest?

But what’s so appealing about Pinterest? A significant majority of Pinterest users use the platform to identify future purchases, be those for far-away weddings or weekly DIY projects. An overlapping 84 percent use the platform to learn new things about their hobbies and interests.

Pinterest’s direct correlation to consumers’ desired purchasing patterns makes it an ideal platform for marketers looking to share product debut and news with consumers.

 

The Takeaway

If you’re looking to capitalize on an ad campaign through Pinterest, you’re going to need to keep the above audience breakdown in mind. Consumers prefer mobile-friendly ads and want to find products they can use in the future. This means creating an ad that specifies market needs.

Consumers also want to be able to undertake projects that help them learn new skills. If you can frame your product as a DIY learning experience, you’ll be more likely to generate conversions with your campaign.

Without a foundation, your marketing campaign will flounder. Now that you know more about Pinterest’s consumer audience, you can decide whether or not the platform is right for your next marketing campaign.

Image attribution: Indiloo – stock.adobe.com

 

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0 0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.