What is Akismet?
Akismet is an advanced anti-spam filtering service. It is one of the most popular tools for comments’ spam protection that is compatible across multiple platforms – WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla. This powerful spam blocker is the product of Automattic, a company that also proudly owns WordPress. So, Akismet is a plugin that comes inbuilt with WordPress. Matt Mullenweg, the developer of WordPress, is the brain behind Akismet.
This plugin uses algorithms to analyze comments and pingbacks that are submitted to your site to figure out the clutter and the useful portions of your comment section. Akismet digs in through and catches spam comments and stops them from appearing on your site. However, like almost everything, it is not 100%. There might be few spam comments it missed and thereby you had to deal with it. There are even cases where Akismet has gone a bit over the board and spammed genuine comments as well.
Though it is not perfect, this plugin is one of the best and most popular plugins there is for anti-spam filtering.
Akismet checks your comments and contact form submissions against our global database of spam to prevent your site from publishing malicious content. You can review the comment spam it catches on your blog’s “Comments” admin screen.
Major features in Akismet include:
- Automatically checks all comments and filters out the ones that look like spam.
- Each comment has a status history, so you can easily see which comments were caught or cleared by Akismet and which were spammed or unspammed by a moderator.
- URLs are shown in the comment body to reveal hidden or misleading links.
- Moderators can see the number of approved comments for each user.
- A discard feature that outright blocks the worst spam, saving you disk space and speeding up your site.
PS: You’ll be prompted to get an Akismet.com API key to use it, once activated. Keys are free for personal blogs; paid subscriptions are available for businesses and commercial sites.