What is Map Pack?
Map Pack: The section of the Google search results page that features three businesses listed in a local map search area. The map pack shows up for queries with local intent, a general business type, or a “near me” search.
The Google 3-Pack is the method Google uses to display the top three results for local SERP results. It uses the user’s location to make the search relevant to the location where the user submitted the query. For instance, if a user searched “restaurants near me” the Google 3-Pack would display three restaurants near the user’s current location.
In August of 2015, the Google 7-Pack was cut down to three, creating the Google 3-Pack. Marketers became concerned about the increased competition for getting into one of those highly valued three spots.
Google 3-Pack also differs from the 7-Pack in ways beyond the number of listings. Rather than focusing on Google+ pages for ranking businesses, if focuses on links to the brand’s business websites. The way information was displayed also changed. It makes it easier for mobile users to navigate Google 3-Pack by showing addresses and business hours, rather than phone numbers.
Rank locally on Google
You cannot optimize specifically for the Google 3-Pack because businesses that appear on the Google 3-Pack are location dependent. In other words, the results change depending upon where the person conducting the search is located.
However, you can optimize your web presence in a way that will increase your chances of appearing in the 3-Pack when it comes up for a query that is applicable to you.
Optimize for Google 3-Pack
- Make sure your Google+ Local page is completely filled in and up-to-date.
- Cultivate reviews on your Google+ account. Receiving multiple positive reviews can be beneficial when it comes to boosting your visibility, especially since Google reviews and stars will be plainly visible on the 3-Pack.
- Make sure your listings throughout the web are accurate and consistent. This includes business name, address, and phone number.
- Cultivate locally relevant links to boost your visibility. There are several ways you can cultivate reputable links, such as sponsoring local nonprofits and events or joining a Chamber of Commerce.
- Build standard backlinks to raise your organic rank. Backlinks are best cultivated through outstanding, well-distributed content that attracts readers.
- Build a strong presence on social media and other platforms to establish yourself as a local business with loyal followers.
« Back to Glossary Index