What is a Lead Magnet?
It is an incentive that marketers offer to potential buyers in exchange for their email address or other contact information. Lead magnets usually offer a piece of digital, downloadable content, such as a free PDF checklist, report, eBook, whitepaper, video, etc.
Why Every Business Needs a Lead Magnet
If you want to generate leads online, then your business needs a lead magnet.
Why? Because email is a very personal thing. People aren’t simply going to give you their email address without a good incentive, even if they like your brand. As a marketer, it is your job to give them a compelling reason to do so.
(Note: if you aren’t sure why email is the best way to market to anyone online, check out our complete beginner’s guide to email marketing here.)
Or instead, you could ask readers to join your email list and get a free, downloadable PDF case study, detailing a real-life example of one business that used these 10 strategies to improve their customer service.
Which offer do you think will get the most email signups?
Precisely—the second one!
So, now that you understand the importance of lead magnets, you may be wondering what makes a good lead magnet.
What Makes a Good Lead Magnet?
There are 7 things that your lead magnet should do if you want it to be irresistible:
- Solves a real problem– solve a real problem that your customer avatar has, or if it doesn’t give them something they really want, it won’t work at all.
- Promises one quick win– should promise (and deliver) one quick win for your avatar. In other words, it should help them to easily achieve something.
- Super specific– don’t create a lead magnet about something general. The more specific you are about the benefit of your lead magnet, the better it will convert leads.
- Quick to digest– PDF checklists tend to convert well because they are so quick and easy to digest. eBooks or lengthy reports may make your prospects feel overwhelmed.
- High value– should have both high perceived value and high actual value.
- Instantly accessible–it will work best if it is something that can be delivered right away. People love instant gratification.
- Demonstrates your expertise or UVP– when someone consumes your lead magnet, it should demonstrate your expertise or your unique value proposition. This helps turn leads into customers down the road.