What is Siri?
Siri is a voice-activated assistant that mimics human intelligence and natural conversation. She interprets your voice instructions, and, when possible, carries them out. Siri can open apps, give you movie times and sports scores, make dinner reservations, call or send messages to people in your contact list and perform a host of other useful tasks. She doesn’t just take your commands and silently performs them. She tells you what she’s doing and prompts you with questions so that you have a chance to make choices and correct her if she misinterprets you.
- Siri can find nearby restaurants and events. Just ask, “Find nearby pizza” or “What movies are playing?”
- It can set a reminder. Just say, “Remind me to take the dog for a walk at 9 PM.”
- Siri can set a timer. Just say, “Timer 30 seconds.” This one is great for cooking.
- It can check the weather with one word: “Weather.”
- Siri will update your status if you say, “Update my Facebook status to: Just watched Doctor Who and loved it.” She can also tweet.
- It will figure out a tip for you. “What’s the tip for twenty dollars and seventeen cents?” Siri will give you the tip amount at 15%, 18%, and 20%.
- Siri can also answer complex questions and search the web. “Who wrote Harry Potter?”
- It can open apps and play music. “Play Ed Sheeran” will play popular Ed Sheeran songs you have on your iPad. And if you have Apple Music, it will play a selection from that service. You can even ask her to “play popular songs from the 60s.”