What is the Impression Share?
Impression Share – Used in Pay per click advertising, this metric refers to the percentage of times viewers have seen an advertiser’s ad, in relation to the total possible amounts that ad, could have been seen. If an ad campaign’s impression share is 70%, then the ads showed 7 out of 10 possible times.
It is the number of impressions you’ve received divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive. Eligibility is based on your current ads’ targeting settings, approval statuses, bids, and Quality Scores. You can view the data at the campaign, ad group and keyword levels.
Types of Impression Share in Google Ads
There is more to impression share than just a simple number; there are different facets that you can use to get an even greater depth of analysis. The different breakdowns for impression share are as follows:
- Search – strictly for impressions generated through the Search Network.
- Display – strictly for impressions generated through the Display Network.
- Search Lost (budget) – the percentage of impressions you lost out on for the Search Network due to an insufficient budget (this is available at the campaign level only).
- Display lost (budget) – the percentage of impressions you lost out on for the Display Network due to an insufficient budget (this is available at the campaign level only).
- Search lost (rank) – the percentage of impressions you lost out on for the Search Network due to low ad rank.
- Display lost (rank) – the percentage of impressions you lost out on for the Display Network due to low ad rank.
- Search exact match – from the Search Network for search queries that matched your keywords exactly.
Impression share is important because it can give you a great indication of why a keyword may not be performing. Based on the data breakdowns mentioned above, you can use it to identify if your keywords aren’t performing due to bidding or budget-related issues, which are two important items to keep in mind when assessing performance.
Is your company in need of help? MV3 Marketing Agency has numerous Marketing experts ready to assist you. Contact MV3 Marketing to jump-start your business.« Back to Glossary Index