What are Google Maps?
Google Maps – The location and navigation service provided by Google. Using maps.google.com, users can search for stores, restaurants, businesses, and landmarks anywhere in the world. Google Maps is one of the most widely used navigation apps, providing GPS directions that update in real-time, according to traffic patterns and issues.
Google Maps is a Web-based service that provides detailed information about geographical regions and sites around the world. In addition to conventional road maps, They offer aerial and satellite views of many places. In some cities, Also they offer street views comprising photographs taken from vehicles.
Google Maps offers several services as part of the larger Web application, as follows.
- A route planner offers directions for drivers, bikers, walkers, and users of public transportation who want to take a trip from one specific location to another.
- The Google Maps application program interface (API) makes it possible for Web site administrators to embed Maps into a proprietary site such as a real estate guide or community service page.
- Mobile offers location service for motorists that utilizes the Global Positioning System (GPS) location of the mobile device (if available) along with data from wireless and cellular networks.
- Google Street View enables users to view and navigate through horizontal and vertical panoramic street-level images of various cities around the world.
- Supplemental services offer images of the moon, Mars, and the heavens for hobby astronomers.
The satellite view is a “top-down” or bird’s-eye view; most of the high-resolution imagery of cities is aerial photography taken from aircraft flying at 800 to 1,500 feet (240 to 460 m), while most other imagery is from satellites. Much of the available satellite imagery is no more than three years old and is updated on a regular basis. They used a variant of the Mercator projection, and therefore could not accurately show areas around the poles. However, in August 2018, the desktop version of Google Maps was updated to show a 3D globe as the default projection. It is still possible to switch back to the Mercator Projection in the settings.
Google Maps for Android and iOS devices was released in September 2008 and features GPS turn-by-turn navigation along with dedicated parking assistance features. In August 2013, it was determined to be the world’s most popular app for smartphones, with over 54% of global smartphone owners using it at least once.
Is your company in need of help? MV3 Marketing Agency has numerous Marketing experts ready to assist you. Contact MV3 Marketing to jump-start your business.
Refer : Google« Back to Glossary Index