What is an Email List?
Email List – A collection of email addresses that can be used to send targeted email marketing campaigns. Lists are typically segmented by user classification, so a list of existing customers can receive one type of communication, while potential customers can receive more promotional communication.
An electronic mailing list or email list is a special use of email that allows for widespread distribution of information to many Internet users.
It is similar to a traditional mailing list – a list of names and addresses – as might be kept by an organization for sending publications to its members or customers.
Refers to four things:
- a list of email addresses,
- the people (“subscribers”) receiving mail at those addresses, thus defining a community gathered around a topic of interest.
- the publications (email messages) sent to those addresses, and
- a reflector, which is a single email address that, when designated as the recipient of a message, will send a copy of that message to all the subscribers.
Email allows for more personalization
When emails are collected organically, businesses know that the individual is interested in their product and/or industry.
Email keeps things professional
Even though many businesses are currently using Social Media, email is still the preferred method to reach out to support teams.
Aside from that, connecting through email is also considered to be more professional when it comes to requests, complaints, partnerships, and other reasons.
Finally, when it comes to product promotion, platforms like Instagram or Facebook will not get as much attention as personalized emails, since there is a large volume of automated and spammy messages.
Different types of email lists
Giving a simple answer to the question “what is an email list” will not get you far. It is important to understand the different types of lists and how these function best.
An email list can be built, obtained or rented for campaigns.
How to build an email list
And by that, I mean that your campaigns will get higher open rates, great click-through rates, and more sales.
Therefore, we will explain this step-in further detail.
There are three main points to look out for when building an organic list.
- Quality – You want to make sure that your emails go to real people, who regularly check their emails.
- Relevance – Your subscribers should belong in your niche and show an interest in your industry.
- Volume – All throughout the process of building your list, keep in mind that the frequency of your email campaigns must remain the same. Changing the volume as your email list grows can have a negative effect on your key metrics.